This tutorial is ideal for all practicing Nuclear Medical Technologists seeking 1 hour of CE.
Proceed to the Tutorial: PET Radiation Safety Tutorial
Proceed to the Quiz: PET Radiation Safety Quiz
Take Our Online Test if you are a licensed Nuclear Medicine or Radiology Technologist wishing to earn 1 CEU credit.
Purchase Tutorial: Payment Link (Credit Card or Payment)
PET RADIATION SAFETY IN NUCLEAR MEDICINE
TUTORIAL: 1 CEU CREDIT
This tutorial gives an overview of PET Radiation Safety in Nuclear Medicine.
After completing this tutorial, attendees will be able to:
- Know that all of the radionuclides used in PET laboratories emit positrons and produce the resultant annihilation radiation
- Explain why additional radiation safety precautions must be taken into consideration when using PET radiopharmaceuticals
- Explain the importance of the TDS method for controlling external radiation exposure
- Explain why the exposure rate of F-18 is approximately six times greater than that of Tc-99m at a distance of approximately 8 inches
- Know that for PET, barriers, partitions, and shielding must be specially designed to protect personnel, other equipment, and public areas from sources of radioactivity
- Identify all possible sources of annihilation photons in a PET imaging laboratory
- State specific things that a NMT can do to minimize his dose, that of other staff members, and patients
- State how Technologists should receive, calibrate, and inject PET radiotracers and how to dispose of residual activity in specially designed waste bins.
RECEIVING YOUR CE CREDIT:
If you have taken one of the tutorials, received a score of 80% or above, and wish to receive CE credit: Make sure you submit all of the requested information when taking the test. It’s not necessary to send us the score sheets since we receive them electronically when you submit your answers for scoring.
Within 24 hours of receipt of your submitted score sheets and payment for the tutorial(s), we will do all of the following:
1. Send a certificate to you via e-mail
2. Send a certificate to you via US Mail
3. All members of the SNMMI will have to self-report their CE Credits on the SNMMI Website (www.snmmi.org). We will automatically send detailed self-reporting instructions to you along with your CE Credit Certificate.
If you have any problems with the self-reporting system, please contact the VOICE Coordinator directly at 703 708-9000. ).
If paying by check, please make payable to Consultants in Nuclear Medicine and mail your payment to: Consultants in Nuclear Medicine 2910 W. Estes Avenue Chicago, IL 60645-2394
To make sure your check is in the appropriate amount, please note the following:
If a tutorial awards 1 CEU, the cost is $20.00
If a tutorial awards 2 CEU, the cost is $30.00
If a tutorial awards 3 CEU, the cost is $40.00
If paying by credit card: we offer a secure internet service via PayPal, a well known internet provider (www.paypal.com) for all of our Online Tutorial Courses.
Simply click the appropriate link for the tutorial for which you wish to receive CE credit. Check your “shopping cart” order carefully- adding or deleting items before you proceed to check out. “PayPal” credit card payments are available for anyone although you will need to submit more information if you are a new user without an established “PayPal” account. Please use the PayPal links on the website to submit your payment. If your credit card information does not match your score page information, please include a copy of your PayPal payment statement so we can match transactions correctly.
STUDENTS PREPARING FOR CERTIFICATION EXAMINATIONS:
All of our tutorials are available for your use in reviewing for your Board Certification Examination. There is no charge to use these tutorials unless you wish to obtain CE Credit.
TECHNOLOGISTS WISHING TO RECEIVE CE CREDIT:
Please feel free to review the tutorials as often as you wish; the test may be taken once. If a score <80% is obtained, then the test may be retaken once.
If the score is still <80%, please contact Dr. Karesh, Tutorials Coordinator, by e-mail at email@example.com for further instructions.